What is it?
eCopyEditor™ is a leading-edge research tool that generates precise feedback for any static message media. eCE leverages a simple respondent task: using a highlighter to mark up a document. eCE's unique analytical power comes from the quantification of each and every highlighting action, thereby generating a wealth of data at an incredibly fine-grained level.
eCE provides easy-to-interpret quantitative information about respondents' positive or negative reactions to every word and image in your print ad, message statement, direct mail piece, web page, or web banner ad. This innovation opens up an array of analytical opportunities to assess the overall performance of an ad as well as to evaluate its strengths and weaknesses ... word-by-word and image-by-image.
And now, eCE version 2.0 enables better insights from the same core platform. Enhancements in the new version 2.0 include:
- Desktop app ... Analyze eCE results on your PC or Mac. Using the app, you can export eCE color maps in multiple formats for easy embedding into your presentations. Download the app and sample report data here.
- Subgroup analysis ... Examine eCE results for different subgroups at the click of a button. You can easily understand the different feedback patterns among, for instance, Democrats vs. Republicans vs. Independents.
- Q2 Integration ... Use eCE during online focus groups. Stratalys' popular Q2 platform now has the same eCE capabilities as our regular surveys.
- Increased design flexibility ... Customize highlighting instructions for respondents, and choose whether respondents will highlight using one or two colors.
- Multiple reporting tool improvements ... More color map views, aggregate results of multiple words/pictures combined, and additional flexibility in displaying transformed data.
"eCE is an entirely new and entirely superior approach to message testing. The level of detailed feedback that this tool provides is extremely helpful to our clients in refining their communication executions. The fact that it's simple for respondents to use gives us confidence in the underlying data. And the back-end reporting tool that Stratalys has created is flexible and well-suited to produce insights that we might otherwise have missed."
- Steven Lombardo
President and CEO
Lombardo Consulting Group
How does it work?
You provide Stratalys with an ad or message statement in any electronic format. Using the Stratalys Survey System, we convert the ad to a proprietary eCE format and embed it into a web survey or Q2 session. Respondents read the ad and use their cursor just as they would a highlighter pen, selecting a green highlighter to indicate images and text that they like and a red highlighter to indicate those they dislike. The entire process is easy and intuitive.
After the survey or Q2 session is complete, eCE results can be analyzed using either the online report portal or the convenient desktop app. Both tools allows you to examine the data from multiple perspectives. Every word and image has its own quantitative profile based on positive and negative highlighting actions. Key results are provided in both tabular format as well as a dynamic color-coded map of the ad itself. This map overlays easy-to-interpret color shadings on each word and image. The map can by dynamically modified to reflect a variety of data transformations including looking at how different subgroups responded differently to the ad. The eCE report also provides essential overall performance metrics so that ads can be evaluated in head-to-head comparisons.
Why is it superior?
eCE can be used in conjunction with standard evaluative probes, but it offers many advantages over typical web survey designs alone.
- Intuitive and easy for respondents ... eCE does not rely on respondents' willingness/ability to perform complex tasks. Asking respondents to undertake difficult and time consuming feedback tasks in a survey is a common cause of bad data. eCE is straightforward and simple for respondents, thus yielding higher quality data.
- Rich feedback data ... eCE enables a previously impossible level of fine-grained feedback on every word and every image in your ad, message, mailer, or web page. You can evaluate not only if your ad succeeds overall, but which exact words, sentences, and images can be improved. In a typical web survey, you might wade through imprecise open-end responses, or you might try to divine the meaning of a few quantitative likeability ratings. eCE represents a major improvement on this conventional survey design.
- Sophisticated analytics ... The granularity of eCE feedback data opens up opportunities for sophisticated reporting. The eCE report portal and desktop app are dynamic analytical tools that include tabular results and a color-coded map to enable immediate visual insights. In a single glance, you can see the under-performing parts of your ad and understand complex respondent reactions word-by-word, image-by-image.
- Widely applicable ... eCE is a general purpose research tool that is applicable to a wide range of static message media including print ads, text statements, direct mail pieces, web pages, and web banner ads.
- Benchmarking ... It's easy to benchmark performance stats for tested ads. Over time, eCE can provide a clear comparative picture of what works and what doesn't.
eCopyEditor Screenshots & Demo
- Survey respondent evaluating a print ad
- Survey respondent evaluating a message statement
- eCE report portal ... word/image summary stats
- eCE report portal ... subgroup analysis
- eCE report portal ... overall ad performance stats
- eCE report portal ... color maps for like, dislike, net like, and frequency